Grizzly 660 No Spark - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Grizzly Talk Talk about everything else Grizzly related here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GWgameing
  • 1 Post By GWgameing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Grizzly 660 No Spark

I have a 2005 Grizzly 660 that I bought off of my grandpa. Back in 2016 it, along with the majority of my region, flooded. This flood killed the display. I have had it for about a year. When I first got it it would not start, but a simple spark plug corrected that issue. The battery started whining, I suspect due to overcharging as the battery quit holding a charge, so I warrantied the battery and bought a new regulator. Eventually, I snorkeled it. It then developed a problem where the key switch would not always work, so I changed it with a new one. After switching it would run fine. Eventually, it developed a problem where it would suddenly die. Usually, it would not start back up. If it sat for a few minutes it would typically start fine. When I bought a 22" lightbar for the bike I noticed that the battery was not charging as it should. With some investigating, I found a wire that disconnected from the stator prompting me to buy one off of eBay. It should be mentioned that at this time it would still randomly die, and typically after starting, it would just idle. Any tap of the throttle would kill it. This later developed to not starting at all. After some digging, I found that the spark plug was not sparking. I proceeded to check the coil and stator to find the coil was just out of spec. So I bought a second one off of eBay. The coil did not fix my problem, so I thought that maybe the CDI went bad like the display, and eBay order another. I still have no spark. I have checked the resistance in the wires responsible for ignition to find all, but one, to have a reading of 0.0. The orange wire that goes from the CDI to the Ignition Coil had a reading of 0.2. When I measured the voltage to the coil I get .3 - .5v with the voltmeter set to 20v. I get the same .3 - .5v at the boot. I have also replaced the main fuse, the ignition fuse, and the sparkplug. I have since replaced the display too. What should I check?
afhotrod89 likes this.

2005 Grizzly 660, Snorkeled, warren 2500 Winch.

002 Arctic Cat 400 4x4, 14" ITP SS 112 with 30x10x14 mud lites, 2" lift kit, 1" wheel stud converters, Boss radio, Badlands 2500 winch, water Temperature gauge, and two 6" 94w led lightbars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I found my issue... I did not pay enough attention when I removed the OEM one. Because of that, I installed the pulsar generator backward. I had it with the magnet down facing away from the flywheel. A quick flip and an even quicker test and it sparked.*
Hawkdoc likes this.

2005 Grizzly 660, Snorkeled, warren 2500 Winch.

002 Arctic Cat 400 4x4, 14" ITP SS 112 with 30x10x14 mud lites, 2" lift kit, 1" wheel stud converters, Boss radio, Badlands 2500 winch, water Temperature gauge, and two 6" 94w led lightbars.