4wd Problems, relays, switch, testing servo, need a servo motor? Look here - Page 2 - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Grizzly Talk Talk about everything else Grizzly related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin884 View Post
I have a 2014 550 and the 4wd will just kick in or off when it wants to...it also decreases my speed...I occasionally go under water. Should I completely seal the 4wd plug?
Sorry guys, I thought I was subscribed to this thread but I am now. You probably have it fixed by now but to answer your question, that is a common problem with the 13-15 models. It is usually caused by an bad connection that can sometimes be fixed by adding dielectric grease on your servo and switch plugs. Another fix is to disassemble your switch, lightly sand the contacts and reassemble. See this video for taking the switch apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNTXsrnRaQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmenick View Post
hey,

I have a grizzly 550 2014, few weeks ago, i noticed that as soon as i turn the key on, (not the engine) i can hear the servo motor kick in and engage the 4wd, i even saw once where it engaged the 4wd + full lock.

as i am driving along, the 4wd kicks on and off whenever it wants, so for now, i am leaving the button to 4wd position.

went to the dealer last week, i am out of warranty, so... they said they would probably have to replace the whole servo kit and buttons, etc. i am skeptical..

help would be appreciated, a service manual (not the owners one) would be really great too if it's possible, looked all over
Basically you have the same problem as the guy above. You can try the same thing I recommended to him and more than likely that'll fix it. I've got a whole troubleshooting page here if not.

Troubleshooting | 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Repair Parts & Service

Let me know if I can help you further.

4wd problems? I've made a Troubleshooting page with videos.
http://www.501parts.com/troubleshooting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:19 PM

Ole Blue Help!!!

I have a 2014 Grizzly 700 and its doing the same thing as the last guy's4 wheeler on here. It just will go in and out of AWD with out pushing the button, some times its in when the button is sometimes it isn't. You can hear the Servo switching it. I had the switch replaced while it was under warranty and it seemed to fix it for a while but now its doing it again only I'm not under warranty. I would like to fix it for good any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Luke
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hagedorn View Post
Ole Blue Help!!!

I have a 2014 Grizzly 700 and its doing the same thing as the last guy's4 wheeler on here. It just will go in and out of AWD with out pushing the button, some times its in when the button is sometimes it isn't. You can hear the Servo switching it. I had the switch replaced while it was under warranty and it seemed to fix it for a while but now its doing it again only I'm not under warranty. I would like to fix it for good any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Luke
Take a look at all your connections, at the servo, the switch plug and the relays. Make sure everything is tight and clean. You can also take apart the switch and inspect it like in the video above. That part number switch is prone to problems. Most fix it by scuffing the contacts inside with light sandpaper and adding a dab of dielectric grease. Either way the problem you're having typically boils down to a connection problem or the switch.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Here is the newest and most updated troubleshooting page.
Troubleshooting ? 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Repair Parts & Service

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM

Attempting to help my brother with his 2007 Grizzly 700.

He's rebuilt the servo with new motor, and purchased all new relays for the bike.

Tested the switch, its good.

We can manually set the bike to 2wd and time the servo, install it on the bike. Using the switch, it will engage 4wd. After that, it will not respond. Cannot set back to 2wd, unless we do it manually.

Metering the motor plug at the diff, I've got weirdness on 2 pins, that read 9.8 volts and do not switch with the switch. 1 completely hot 12v and 1 switched 12v (with the 4wd switch). A couple of grounds on the other end of the plug.

Anyone have a pin-out or some such, so I can figure out which wires are frayed or broken?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Take a look at our Troubleshooting page for a wiring diagram on the 4wd system. Troubleshooting ? 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair

If he's tested the switch, servo, and relays, next would be a wiring issue and lastly the CDI box. Check really well under the front rack, under the relay sockets, and down the harness to the servo assembly. I've seen these wires break inside of the insulation. Makes it a bear to troubleshoot. Run your fingernail down the wire or do a continuity check on it with a multimeter to find the break or short. Hope this helps!

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 PM

Followed all the wiring over the weekend, and found that some of the wires go to the servo first.

I had him remove and take apart the servo again to humor me.

The slide contacts and fingers we're somewhat corroded. Cleaned it up. Put it back together. Works a treat now.

I'm not sure he realized that the contacts in the housing needed to be cleaner than what they were.
The Following User Says Thank You to VW_Factor For This Useful Post:
oleblue22 (04-08-2019)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing the solution. Yeah those contacts need to be clean otherwise they won't make connection.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:14 PM

I just put a new servo motor on my 2004 Grizzly 660 works great but sometimes a little to great I can click it back in 2wd and it's still in 4wd and the diff lock light will come on and a few minutes later it will go into 2wd on its on. What can cause this I know my battery is weak could that cause it
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 AM

I have a 2013 550 and had the same problem with the 4x4 going in and out by itself. It turned out to be the 4x4 switch on the handlebar. I took it to a yam dealer and mine had a recall on it. They replaced the switch at n/c. You should check into that. Unfortunately, even though the switch was replaced 4 months ago, it is again acting up. It seems logical that if the defective switch was replaced by the same one that is new, it would only be a matter of time before problems would develop. Looks like I will have to take it back to the dealer again which is a PIA for me because it is a 100 mile round trip I will have to make TWICE.