tire slime/bead vs bead leaks? - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Grizzly Riders Homepage Yamaha Grizzly Forums The Grizzly Garage User Control Panel Register Today It's Free Store  

Go Back   Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos

Notices

Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos Share tire/wheel info here

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
 > Garage
» ----------------------
» Other Sites
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Grizzly Riders Swag

» We Support our Troops

» Donate to Grizzly Riders.
If you like this website and would like to give something back in return, you can make a donation. Your donation will be used to pay for site hosting service, software, domains and maintenance costs.

» Hot Topics This Week
A Thread For the Little Guys! - (86 replies)
Cooling down 2000 Griz 600 - (3 replies)
hatfield and mccoys - (2 replies)
Welcome GrizzlyBurrito - (2 replies)
Welcome outlaw55 - (1 reply)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Default tire slime/bead vs bead leaks?

I am have a hard time keeps 3.5lbs of air in my rear tires. If my griz sits for a week they leak down to 1-2lbs. I end up pumping them back up to 3.5 everytime I go riding.I assume that they are leaking around the beads as the tires themselves have no holes or plugs in them and the rims and valve stems are new.

my question is -will tire sealant stop bead leaks? at $10 a tire I don't want to waste my money on sealant if it's not going to help.
champion 3000 winch
26" sedona mud rebels-12" sedona renegade rims

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

#ADS  
Advertiser Advertiser is online
Circuit advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Buzz
Site Supporter

Hi Roy, first did you check the valve stems, just because they are new doesn't mean the needles are tight. I have Mud Lites and they call for 7psi, if I go below 5psi they will leak a couple pounds like you said in a week or so. Tire sealant is for punctures to seal a bead would be a stretch and probably a waist of time and money. I put about 20psi in my tires and let them sit for about an hour and then brought them down to 6psi and it work for me. If that doesn't work you may have to break them down and put a bead sealant on them or just check the psi before you ride.

2002 660 Beige - SOLD!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Class Clown
Grizzly of the Month Winner
Site Supporter

Thanked 1,046 Times in 626 Posts
Visit Hammer07's Facebook

centrifugal force throws tire sealant out to tread areas of a tire, it will do nothing for a bead leak. take them to a tire shop and have the beads sealed. bead sealer is kind of like liquid rubber that is applied to the bead area of the wheel to seal up any imperfections in the wheel or bead area of the tire.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM

. My tires call for 6lbs max. machine says 3.5lbs. Iwas trying not to have them broke back down and sealed, I had a hard time finding someone locally that would mount them to begin with. I'll check my stems and try running a little more air in them. Pumping up isn't really a big deal just trying to avoid having to do it so often. I guess if thats what it take to ride I'll just have to get use to it. again for the help.
champion 3000 winch
Old 05-22-2011, 10:29 PM
You can do it!!
Site Supporter

Are these the same tires you had taken off the other solid rear axle wheels? It so I would break them down and check the beads for damage from the last time they were unmounted. It doesnt take much as far as debris or a gouge in the face of the bead to allow a slow leak like you describe. If you don't find anything I would make sure the beads are well lubed and reseat them. If possible have the tire shop do it. The tire mounting machine usually has a high flow hose with a clamp on chuck and a pressure regulator. The trick is to get as much air as you can into them as quick as possible the clamp on chuck will allow the valve stem to be removed to increase the airflow. It took over 40 psi to get the beads to fully seat on my Growlers when I installed them a while back. They haven't leaked one bit since they were mounted. Hope this helps.
Rox 5'' Risers & Fly Aero Bars w/ Rigid Duallys
Warn XT30 Winch
Ricochet Skids
Coop45 Sheave
Gold EPI Spring
18gr Weights
EHS Intake
EHS Lid
Muzzy Full Exhaust
PC V w/ Autotune
Dyna FS
Old 05-22-2011, 11:44 PM

yes these are the ones. I had them changed at a shop. But I don't know how much air was used to seat the beads. I watched them change them , they came off and went on easy. I'll try to fill them up and seat if the seat all the way. Thanks, For the tips
champion 3000 winch
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Site Supporter

First things first, air up your tires and put them underwater to see where the air is leaking - that will confirm/deny your assumption. If you can't get a tub big enough, mix some dishwashing liquid with water and put it in a spray bottle. Apply liberally and watch for bubbles.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to break the tires loose and examine the beads - if you lost a large piece of rubber you may need bead sealant, and that may not even work. Beads rarely get damaged the first time a tire is installed, but because they have seated, they routinely get damaged when they are removed from a wheel.

I would check the valve stems and install the sealant. I can't think of any reason why the tire sealant wouldn't help - it is distributed by centrifical force, but then it's the air pressure inside the tire that pushes it out anywhere there is a leak. If you want to examine the beads first do so, but I wouldn't ride anywhere without highlifter tire sealant or Slime installed. Even though I carry plugs and a pump with me, I don't carry a spare tire, and sooner or later, you're gonna have a problem on a trail where you'll be glad you installed the sealant.
Warn XT30
Yamaha HD Brush Guard
Rox Riser Combo w/ Spyder A3 Grips
Yamaha Fender Extensions
PIAA Bulbs
Symtec Heated Grips/Thumb/Seat
Rigid 10" LED Up Front, Dually Around Back
2R Tip, Custom Covers
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM
G-Man
Site Supporter
Grizzly Roll Over Club

Send a message via Skype™ to GrizzlyMan660
Visit GrizzlyMan660's Facebook Visit GrizzlyMan660's YouTube

Check your schraders i cant spell inside the valve stem. I used both slime and Fix a flat and they both worked great! persanaly i would use slime cuz its more of a heavyer duty but makes a mess if you change the tire.
(MINE) 2006 Grizzly 660 With ITP SS212 rims, Dunlop Quadmaxx Tires, Wiseco Piston/ Wiseco Gasket Set, Rigid Industries Duallys, Superwinch Terra 35, ODI Lock-On Grips, Twin Air Filter, SPAL Fan! Member Of The OG GROC #24
(Mine) 2006 Ford F150 FX4 Loaded. Leather Interior 40,000 miles 5.4 Triton V8. 20 In Wheels, Gibson Dual Exhaust, Rough Country Leveling Kit, Kenwood Speakers,Tons Of Stickers
(Pops) 2010 Suzuki 400 King Quad (Stock)
(Mine) 2008 Yamaha TTR 230 (Stock) But Fast As Hell!!
(Mine) 2001 Yamaha YZ 125 With Wisco BBK,Graphics Kit,CEET Seat Cover,Scott Grips,Throttle Jocky Throttle,Jet Kit.
(Mine)1999 Suzuki 300 KingQuad Snorkeld
(Mine) 2005 Kawasaki 360 Prairie ODI Lock-On Grips Snorkeled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer07 View Post
Are you takin' mechanical advice from a psychic? seriously? have you tried calling Dr. Phil?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM

I not going to break them back down. I don't want to take a chance doing damage if there isn't any now. They don't go totally flat in a week ,they just leak down to 1-2ibs. I did buy the slime ,figured I should have it anyways. Where I ride isn't miles away from the truck like some of you guys ride so even a dead flat could be limped back to my truck. The stems are new but I have to remove them to put the slime in so I'll make sure they are not damaged and are tight when I reinstall them.
champion 3000 winch
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Grizzly of the Month Winner

Highlifter's Pro Tire sealant will fix a bead leak. I've seen it done on 2 sets of tires!!
Black ITP SS108s
HL Tire Sealant
SuperATV Rhino Axles
Barkers Dual Exhaust
EHS Racing intake and fuel controller
1.5mm shim
EPI orange spring
Warn Front Bumper
Moose HD rear bumper
Fender bars w/ pegs
AP armour
Warn RT2.5
Raised pegs
Traction Rails
Rock Sliderzz
fender flares
tamarack front box
rotopax 4gal fuel pack
Moose handgaurds
Rigid Industries D2 LED Lights

March 2011 GOTM Winner!