Grizzly 700 starts hard - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Grizzly Riders Homepage Yamaha Grizzly Forums The Grizzly Garage User Control Panel Register Today It's Free Store  

Go Back   Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Notices

Grizzly Tech Tips Share tips on services, repairs, etc here

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
 > Garage
» ----------------------
» Other Sites
» ----------------------
» View us On
» Grizzly Riders Swag

» We Support our Troops

» Donate to Grizzly Riders.
If you like this website and would like to give something back in return, you can make a donation. Your donation will be used to pay for site hosting service, software, domains and maintenance costs.

» Hot Topics This Week
Duro Power Grip Tire Review - (39 replies)
2014 grizzly clicking - (3 replies)
700 Grizzly Shim Mod Success! - (1 reply)
Happy Birthday Jfer - (1 reply)
Welcome Laughingbear - (1 reply)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Grizzly 700 starts hard

Hello, I am having trouble with my 07 grizzly 700 (has about 1900 miles on it). It has a hard time firing up lately. It seems like it just one day started this. It will turn over just fine with full cranking power and it will start after about 30 or more seconds of cranking over. It idles a little rough and dies sometimes for the first 50 seconds or so, but then it warms up and idles perfect and it runs perfect with full power and doesn't miss a beat. The colder it is, the longer i have to crank it over for. It seems like it is not giving it enough fuel or a rich enough mixture to get it started when it is cold (live in minnesota so it is cold, but it never had a problem before, it would start in -10 degrees F in 2 seconds before). BTW it is 40 degrees here today and it still starts hard. I don't like it turning over this much and there must be something wrong with it. Here is what i've done to try and fix it.

1. Put a new plug in it---didn't help (the other one was a little black but looked pretty good)
2. Checked air filter -- was clean
3. Put injector cleaner in (seafoam) and ran it for a while and let it sit for a while-- didn't do anything
4.Ran diagnostic check -- everything was within the required parameters except, the lean angle sensor reads 4.0 while it is not turned, but it wouldn't run at all if this was the problem. I thought it would be the intake temperature sensor but that read normal. Also there were two errors, #'s 30 and 33, but these i erases because it had been rolled over once a year ago which explains # 30 and i have been cranking on it alot which probably set off # 33 error code, and the service manual says if these errors were the case, it wouldn't run at all

I can't figure out what it is that would cause this, its so strange that it would start hard and run fine after less than a minute of idling. it could be something i completely overlooked so i was wondering if anybody had any ideas, i was thinking maybe the fuel filter could be plugged (it shouldn't be) or somthing but i'm not sure that would cause these symptoms. thank you everyone

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

#ADS  
Advertiser Advertiser is online
Circuit advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
F.U.B.A.R.
Grizzly of the Month Winner
League of Extraordinary Grizzlymen
Turning Wrenches is Fun!
We see everything!

Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,046 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to DODGE57HEMI
Visit DODGE57HEMI's Facebook Visit DODGE57HEMI's YouTube

Welcome! Not sure on a Grizz but on a car if it has these symptoms it usually a crank sensor. Something worth looking into. Not a common issue on Grizzlys at all.

Please don't be the one to ruin it for the rest of us!!!

Here on the GR we like to dress for the crash and not the ride!
*CLICK FOR COLORADO TRAIL LAWS AND RIDE INFO*

Growing old is inevitable, growing up
is optional!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM

How many miles has it been since you've adjusted the valves?

DEWFPO
The Following User Says Thank You to DEWFPO For This Useful Post:
DODGE57HEMI (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM

it has 1800 miles total on it and i never have adjusted the valves, why would that be necessary?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Gas Man
Site Supporter

I would think it highly unlikely you would need your valves adjusted at 1800 miles.

Personally, I'd give it another 5-6000 miles before worrying about valve adjustment.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM

It's been noted that the valves on these Grizzlies tend to get tight over time and need routine adjusting. When they get tight they don't open the valves as much as they should and cold starting problems are the result. One running they are fine but won't breath as freely as they would if the valve lash was in spec.

DEWFPO
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Gas Man
Site Supporter

Tight? I don't understand what you mean there.

Valve lash is not going to change overnight. Moreover it probably could be adjusted as much after 10,000 miles as it could the day you ride it out of the showroom.

Every machine I've ever opened up for valvetrain adjustment "could use adjustment", no machine I've ever opened, "needed adjustment", or was so far out of spec it was detrimental to performance.

I've had bikes opened up with less than 50 miles and over 20,000 miles.

Sorry to get off topic
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM

Yeah I agree, I would think that valve lash would be an issue way down the road, but that SHOULD be a long way away. I've never heard of an engine that needs the valves adjusted that early or often.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM

In the Yamaha Factory Owners Manual for the 550/700 Yamaha Grizzlies, a valve adjustment is recommended after the first 200 miles and then on a routine basis (at least for the 2009-2011 model years). Many that have personally checked the valve clearances have found one or both sets of valves out of spec, typically tight. Presumably from valves reseeding in the head. This can cause hard cold starting issues if everything else is working properly.

I never said it would occur overnight. But we've all had engines that ran fine one day and then wouldn't start the next.

The OP said he couldn't figure out his hard cold start problem and asked for ideas.

DEWFPO
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM

hmm, wow, i can't beleive that, I guess i should have them checked, for the info, what does a dealer charge for something like that?