Grizzly Riders Forum banner

Sad Day In The Land Of Camo Grizz.

12K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  Scott 
#1 ·
On the way home from the Snowday ride, the trailer and Grizz had a mishap.

We still have snow on some of the main roads. Met a car that was crowding the center line, so I moved to the right to give room. The plow trucks had the shoulders built up pretty good with snow. In one spot the trailer got off the shoulder, and it was trying to pull the truck in with it. I managed to get it back on the road, but I was in a slide. After a bit of skiding and back and forth action I got the truck straightened out, and looked in the rearview to find the trailer and Grizz were no longer attached.

Once I got out of the truck the trailer was up side down in the ditch. The Grizz was sitting up on all 4 tires just behind, and next to the trailer. MY freind that was in front of me said he saw the trailer and Grizz flip through the air, then out of site.

We flipped the trailer over picked up all the stuff that used to be in my box, hooked the trailer to the truck, and I rode the grizz back on the trailer. One safety chain broke, and the other pulled the hook straight out. The trailer is a tilt bed, and the tilt latch broke. I had to use the winch to suck the Grizz down to the tounge to keep it from tilting back. Hooked the tie down straps back up and headed home.

The front rack, and my ammo box on the from are messed up pretty good. Front right fender and light is hosed. Moose bumper dented, cracked, and pushed back about 2" on the right. Handle bars, and controlls are in perfect shape. My front box sacrificed its self for the bars.

My back box exploded, and the rear rack is bent down on the left side. The rear fender on the left is busted at the rack mounting point.

I'm bummed to say the least, not sure weather I am going to file an insurance claim, or fix it out of pocket. I do need to have it looked at by a dealer to be sure there is no frame damage. I don't think there is, but want to be certain.

Here are the pics from when I got home.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Holt Crap jay Looks bad but not to the point of frame damage. It's a good thing it was snow and not summer gravel Right!!!!!
Mucky has some GREEN panels for sale hehehe
I like how the Ammo box saved your handel bars that alone is major. Rear rack, looks like your going to need the back bracket too.
I'll tell you Pal for a brake away trailer accident the grizz came out pretty darn good all in all.
Get a qoute from your dealer then go on line and see what you can get online.
I'll bet it won't be too bad, shuffel around a while with a sad look and make that young man who's going to be your future son-in law to help his future old man out!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Buddy glad your ok the rest is replacable

#6 ·
GrizzGrizz said:
Sorry about your luck... but you are ok and that is the important thing.

How did the trailer come off the ball hitch? Was it locked on there?
I think 2 things contributed to that. I had just cleaned & greased the ball a little because it was starting to rust. Second the latch was down, but i did not have a lock or pin in it. I have pulled without a latch lock many, many time wiyhout issues. Never again.

#7 ·
Jfer said:
GrizzGrizz said:
Sorry about your luck... but you are ok and that is the important thing.

How did the trailer come off the ball hitch? Was it locked on there?
I think 2 things contributed to that. I had just cleaned & greased the ball a little because it was starting to rust. Second the latch was down, but i did not have a lock or pin in it. I have pulled without a latch lock many, many time wiyhout issues. Never again.
10-4 on the lock Jay I've lost two trailers crossing PA because of that back in the 80's 3am in the rain canyou believe it

#8 ·
desertdweller said:
Holt Crap jay Looks bad but not to the point of frame damage. It's a good thing it was snow and not summer gravel Right!!!!!
Mucky has some GREEN panels for sale hehehe
I like how the Ammo box saved your handel bars that alone is major. Rear rack, looks like your going to need the back bracket too.
I'll tell you Pal for a brake away trailer accident the grizz came out pretty darn good all in all.
Get a qoute from your dealer then go on line and see what you can get online.
I'll bet it won't be too bad, shuffel around a while with a sad look and make that young man who's going to be your future son-in law to help his future old man out!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Buddy glad your ok the rest is replacable
Green panels, hush or mouth Ray. I said the grizz was banged up, not dead.

AS said, no one was hurt, so thats all that mattered. I do remember saying as we loaded up from the ride, "It was a good day, no one got hurt, and nothing got broke." Spoke to soon.

#12 ·
Gusman said:
:-\Normally I would come up with a CAMO Grizz joke but not tonight. I am just glad that you are alright and that the damage only appears to be cosmetic.

Good luck in the fix and once again, I'm glad you are OK.

Gus
Thanks Gus, however the blue font did not go unnoticed.

#13 ·
Jay I have a grill - head light bucket assy fome my 07 700 you can have free it hase cracks in the center of the nose right below the yamaha embelm on the top part . Alittle glue and it would be fine I replaced it because the machiene was new when I crashed if it happend now I would just fix it. PM me and I will send it to you.
Barry

#15 ·
vernonredneck said:
Jay I have a grill - head light bucket assy fome my 07 700 you can have free it hase cracks in the center of the nose right below the yamaha embelm on the top part . Alittle glue and it would be fine I replaced it because the machiene was new when I crashed if it happend now I would just fix it. PM me and I will send it to you.
Barry
Thanks Barry, I'll keep that in mind.

#16 ·
The fact that you rode it back up on the trailer after flying through the air on a highway speaks volumes for how tough your bike is!!
You are right jfer, no one got hurt... but make sure you get the griz looked over with fine tooth comb. If it is going to be $$$$ to fix, I would file the claim.
Do you think you auto ins. will cover, or are you talking about your atv insurance?

#21 ·
Well that had to make yer butt pucker !!! :-\ .... and dude ... that TOTALLY sucks ! Holy crap ... :'(

Glad to hear YOU'RE OK ... and hope you can get it fixed. Did ya have insurance ? ... I just dropped mine ... crap ... maybe I better get the Grizz covered again !! ???

#22 ·
Ouch man that totally sucks, at least that damage wasnt done while you were riding it. I would see if insurance will cover it, bending back the racks and stuff is pretty hard. I had a 2 roll overs, and my stuff still isnt straight, and my front rack is unusable.

#23 ·
Jfer said:
Scott said:
Well that just sucks. Best of luck on the repairs.

Oh, btw, I think you qualify for ROLL-Over Club stickers.
Thanks Scott, as for the GROC sticker, I was not on the grizz when it happened. Now that would have been a ride.
I will issue stickers if you guy's feel this would meet the critarion ofcourse I really never had any!

What say you members???

#26 ·
sorry bout your luck man, but im suprised that it doesnt look worse. it all looks cosemetic and it drove right back up on the trailer..hell give it to me, ill ride the sheeit out of it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.