Grizzly Riders Forum banner

Won't start

Tags
start
7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DU08Grizz 
#1 ·
Hi i am new to this site, i bought an 03 grizzly 660 not too long ago and it would not start. I have since then put on a new starter, 4 gauge wiring from battery to starter, Odyssey PC545 battery, both relays under the seat and starter relay (which fixed the original problem and it would start, but not too long after that my power wire got so hot it melted off the insulation after replacing that noticed the starter wasn"t cranking smoothly so i replaced it.) Have cleaned all connections when ever trying to bypass the relay it wants to weld itself. Also have adjusted the valves. It will only click when i push the button. Any ideas i am lost.

#2 ·
Dont know much about the 660s but how does your ground wires look both the battery and on the fuse box?

#4 ·
Hmmm no so sure possibly a bad fuse or fuse block....

#5 ·
The only big current draw that would heat up a 4 gauge wire and melt the insulation would be the starter, but you replaced that...so now you say it just clicks? or does the wire still get hot? Could be the big current drain messed up the starter relay or solenoid, maybe time to get a good wiring schematic and start tracing wires. Does it have a winch? thats a big amp draw, and it could have a bad contactor or switch.....if you have one, that is.

#6 ·
Just putting my 2 cents in, I have an 05 660 same problem replaced the power wire haven't replaced the ground...but get a new starter relay charge your battery and try and start make sure all connections are tight put a multimeter on your battery and see if it is charging while your grizz is running my problem was my battery wasn't charging (i would get 3-4 starts then back to the clicking) and the low charge while trying to start was ruining my starter relay...so now I am replacing my voltage reg. and stator...hope this helps took me a while to realize what was happening to mine you might have the same problem.

Reactions: DU08Grizz
#7 ·
all fuses are good, burnt up factory power wire to the starter relay so i replaced all the wiring from battery to starter. Battery is brand new and charged reading 12.62 and doesn't drop too much when hitting start button, something happened yesterday and it wont click now so i will probably get a new starter relay and go from there. There is no winch or lights for big current draw.

#9 ·
I know you said you replaced the battery. But try with a new battery. Make sure to charge it good before install. I think you have a bad battery. I believe the battery should read 13.2

#10 ·
12.62 volts is fine with the quad off and the battery charged, the big thing to watch is the drop when you hit the starter, if it goes to 9 volts or below, the battery can't take the load,and needs to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.